Further information about phonics and how you can help your child at home
At Wavendon Gate School we use Read Write Inc Phonics (RWI) to give your child the best possible start with their reading journey. We have put together a guide explaining how the RWI programme works together with some useful links. Mrs Sage-Passant is our Read Write Inc Manager, so if you have questions about RWI, contact school who can refer you to her. Please take the time to read the information below as it will provide invaluable information as to how you can help and support your child in reading.
What is Read Write Inc?
Read Write Inc (RWI) is a complete phonics programme which helps all children learn to read fluently and at speed so they can focus on developing their skills in comprehension, vocabulary and spelling as early as possible. The programme is designed for children aged 4-7 years.
Read Write Inc teaching sequence
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts – see below
- learn to read words using Fred talk and sound blending
- read from a range of storybooks and non-fictions books matched to their phonic knowledge
- work well with partners
- develop comprehension skills in stories by answering ‘Find It’ and ‘Prove It’ discussion questions
- learn to write and form the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds with the help of fun phrases
- learn to write words by using Fred talk
- learn to build sentences by practising sentences out loud before they write
The children work in pairs so that they:
- answer every question
- practise every activity with their partner
- take turns in talking and reading to each other
- develop ambitious vocabulary
Year 1 & Year 2
Children follow the same format as Reception but will work on complex sounds and read books appropriate to their reading level. Daily sessions of RWI phonics last for 30 minutes. Once children become fluent speedy readers they will move on to guided reading sessions in year 2.